30 Aug 2009: notes on disconnection
August 31, 2009 § 4 Comments
1. Layla, Lau, and Grandma + the dogs in the living room with “Sex in the City” on. One of Sarah Jessica Parker’s frienda (the slutty one, “Samantha”) is on the screen in bed with with a guy post-coital. She says “I have no connection to my life here.”
2. Two nights ago there was a space shuttle launch at Canaveral. You could see it from here. My dad and I both talked about it, but then he watched a couple hours of NFL and went to bed. On the other TV, my mom fell asleep watching Ted Kennedy memorial coverage.
3. Behind the garage doors in this subdivision are retired men reloading ammo, waxing yellow Lamborghinis, and tossing their wives’ discount White Zinfandel and Diet Coke bottles into the recycling.
4. Research scientists are about to release a new study indicating that healthy mothers who choose not to breastfeed otherwise healthy babies create a hormonal reaction in their [the mothers’] bodies that “unknowingly simulates child loss.”
5. “I just wanted my body back,” she said.
“I like my girls dolled-up,” he said.
6. Layla hasn’t had to wear diapers in more than 6 months but since we’ve been here she’s started wetting her pants.
7. Today my mom saw Layla and I eating watermelon out by the pool and ran out: “CAN’T YOU DO ANYTHING WITHOUT MAKING A MESS!” Later I tried to talk to her. I told her that she’s causing so much stress. “Can’t you see how Layla moves away sometimes when your walk into a room all angry?”
8. I’ve been trying to talk to her for 30 years.